Sunday, February 14, 2010

When you find the right 'spot'

Mid December I had hurt myself so bad that I could hardly walk. Standing was ok, sitting was terrible. For two days I worked on my knees at my desk even. I hobbled around the block and did pissy little upper body weights. Of course, although feeling the pain in my left lower back it was the result of tightness in a series of muscle groups, one causing another ones problems etc. Oh AND I do know why, in fact I knew what I was doing was wrong. I always carry Jethro on my right side and kick my hip up, just the more I do it one side, the harder it is to change it, as much as I try, I will never give up!

Anyway, had a massage a few weeks back (not because I was in particular need of one, just because I felt like it) didn't really have pain to speak of. But the masseuse went into great detail of some imbalances I had. In all this he showed me the above stretch (nothing out of the ordinary right!) but then tweaked it a little by moving the back leg.

So I try this at home on my good side, no problems. I switch legs and OH MY GOD I thought I was going to vomit, their is the spot!!! Anyway, weeks on I STILL feel like vomiting when I stretch my left side.

Although I am not in any pain at the moment, I now know just how bad this area is and how much of a ticking time bomb it is. It has been a continual focus for me for weeks, not only after a run, I also stretch it in the mornings. It still makes me feel sick, but eventually I will win it over :)

1 comment:

  1. You look great Sam! You are an athlete :)

    (and a yummy mummy) xxx

    ReplyDelete